SailTimer – Indepth Navigation
Juli 18th, 2012 • Navigation
Display your optimal tacks on a chart, and the exact distance and time on each tack. Standard GPS chartplotters do not account for tacking distances. But if they do not know the distance you will travel, how can they calculate your correct ETA? SailTimer gives you a quick and easy display of your optimal tacks and TTD™ (Tacking Time to Destination).
Whether for cruising or racing, it is important to be able to determine the best heading on all points of sail. Sailing off the wind increases boat speed but lengthens the distance. Heading too far upwind shortens the distance but reduces speed. To help you select the best heading, SailTimer continuously updates your optimal tacks.
Simply enter the directions of the wind and your destination to get the optimal tacking angles. Add additional details on LWL (Length of boat at Water Line) and wind speed to see additional results about tacking distances and times. Even GPS chartplotters costing hundreds or thousands more can’t give you the innovative new functions you get with SailTimer.
Operating Instructions and Unique Features:
● Save waypoints on the map. Then select one in the Waypoint list to name it. Then easily display the optimal tacks, tacking distances, headings and times to get to that waypoint.
● If you are using an iPod or iPad with no GPS, you can also drop a pin on the map and click Set Current Position.
● If you have the SailTimer Wind Vane, the wind direction and speed arrives magically through the air. To see the optimal tacks, there is then only one step: Just enter the waypoint or direction to the waypoint. It is that simple.
● The app also includes easy in-app purchases for hydrographic charts from multiple countries. Low prices on Canada and USA raster charts. England, Ireland, New Zealand and more are on the way.
● Google Maps and world road maps are available free. Worldwide satellite photos from Google Maps come with the app. Plus, you can download marine charts or road maps directly to your device, for later use off-line.
● If there were insets on the paper chart, zoom in farther on the same area, and more detail will be revealed. The insets on the paper charts are usually set over land. Those may be empty in the app, because we place the added detail in the correct location.
● The white crosshair icon in the top left is the “Follow-Me” button. If clicked, it turns blue and keeps your location in the center of the screen as you move. Unselect when not moving to look around the map, and when you want to zoom in and out.
● If you have the SailTimer Wind Vane, you can enlarge the unique Wind Speedometer to keep an eye on wind gusts. If you want a record of wind speeds, click the Graph button and you can save or share a graph showing your boat speed and wind speed. The graph saves these for up to 24 hours as long as the device is not shut off.
● If the app is being viewed, your device will not go to sleep, to allow you to continue to monitor your progress on the chart.
● If you have wifi at home and a SailTimer Wind Vane at the boat, once you have selected each, your device will automatically recognize each and switch to it when you go to/from the boat.
● ActiveCaptain™: See comments and reviews about anchorages, marinas and hazards. This is the next generation in cruising guides, with real-time updates through crowd-sourcing. A flag on the chart shows the location of each Point of Interest. Updates automatically when there is an internet connection, if you are using the app and have selected this feature.
● Click on the pin at the end of a pair of tacks to bring up a notice box showing the distances, heading and time on each tack.
Easy to use: We will continue to add YouTube demo videos at www.SailTimerApp.com. You will also see a link there for waterproof DryPaks with tie-down straps, if you need to protect and mount your device.
© © SailTimer Inc.